Mmmm.... Cupcakes!

It is no secret that in our house we LOVE sweets! I can't go a week or less without baking something delicious! I can't help it I love to bake and the man loves to eat. We make a good combo!

I have been wanting to make
this for a while. They just look so delicious. Then the man says he's craving my amazing Boston Cream Pie. It's really good, I promise! So instead of the recipe I've been craving, I decided to use her idea and make Boston Cream Pie cupcakes! Yum!

First thing to do is make the cupcakes...
Normally, I would use yellow cake if I wanted an easy Boston Cream Pie, but I didn't have one and French Vanilla sounds just as good.

This recipe just uses a plain old box mix, but instead of making it the way the box says, I make it a bit different. It makes the cake more rich and creamy. I found this a while ago and it tastes great. You can use the same general idea on any box cake mix and it tastes wonderful.



Cupcakes
1 Box French Vanilla cake mix

3 Large eggs

1/2 Cup butter, melted (use butter)

1 Cup water

Preheat oven to 350 Melt butter in microwave then add to cake mix eggs and water in a large bowl.

Fill your cupcakes, use papers, it's just easier. Bake for 20 minutes.

Fresh from the oven, I want to eat now, please!

(I like the little "poof" on top so I tend to fill my cups a little more than most people. And since I'm filling them, more room for custard!)

Need help ma?!

While the cupcakes are baking or cooling make the custard...

Custard Filling

1/3 cup sugar

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1/8 tsp salt

1-1/2 cups milk

2 egg yolks, slightly beaten

2 tsp vanilla



Blend sugar, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan.

Combine milk and egg yolks; gradually stir into sugar mixture.



Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.

Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.



Be patient, it feels like it will never thicken but it does.


Cool to room temperature. Or put in the fridge for a bit.



Now, time to assemble.
Cut a cone shape out of the center.
Do NOT cut all the way through!

Fill your hole with the custard and put the top on as best you can.

The frosting will cover it so it doesn't need to be perfect.
I recommend cutting a point off the cone to give the custard more room.

Once they are all together you can put the frosting on however you choose...
I like to save making frosting for very last, so it's extra fresh, so I waited till everything was cool and filled and ready to go.


More help. Laying in between my legs, hoping the mixer bowl might just fall on the floor.

Chocolate Frosting
My mother makes the best chocolate frosting so I'm choosing to do that. However, you could a glaze, which is what I do on the actual Boston Cream Pie. I just feel like eating left over frosting, let's be honest.


1/2 Cup packed cocoa
2-1/4 Cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 pound butter (I use one stick butter one stick margarine)
3-4 Tbsp cream or milk (I just happened to have heavy cream on hand)


You should sift the sugar and cocoa, I don't, mainly because I don't have anything to sift with.

Cream the butter, nice and good. You don't want lumpy frosting.

Stir in the sugar/cocoa mix 1 cup at a time.

Here's the tricky part... You need to use the milk to moisten it... you might need all 4 Tbsp, you might not, whatever you think looks good. My trick... taste it! You want it thick, don't add too much milk.


Some people prefer to pipe frosting on top, I prefer the "blob" method!


Make sure you store these in the fridge!! The custard has to be refrigerated!
I decided to use my new zester tool (thanks mom!) and shave up some chocolate on top!


Yummy! The man was sure happy when he got home!


Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

Comments

  1. You read my mind! I have a friend that was asking me for some Boston themed food ideas. I'll send her your way. Thanks for this perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look fantastic. anyone else notice that the root word of diet is DIE? I'm making those immediately, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous recipe. Keri, did you know that Boston Creme Pie is actually the state pie here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?
    And Jenn and Steve, this was a very appropriate choice for an April posting, since April 19 is the Patriot's Day holiday in Boston!
    Jude
    Judith@Dolcecapecod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no words for how badly I want to eat an entire batch all by myself. Needs. Bad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment